November 12, 2012

The Next Big Thing


The sweet and always helpful M.A. Church tagged me for the ongoing game of The Next Big Thing, in which authors get to talk about their favorite thing: their work, and what their current Work in Progress is.


So, what's my Next Big Thing?


Image courtesy of [Evgeni Dinev] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
What is your working title of your book?
Secret Chemistry II—very original, I know. ;-) I'm still waiting for inspiration...

Where did the idea come from for the book?
This story is a sequel to Secret Chemistry, which will be released by Dreamspinner Press in January. While Secret Chemistry is a standalone, there are still some open questions. Also, one of the side characters, Robin (a white wolf), demanded to tell his story too. Since he's one cute, and very persistent young man, I couldn't resist. ;-)

What genre does your book fall under?
It belongs to the paranormal genre (it's a shape-shifter story).

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I don't know of any actors who resemble Robin and Peter. Btw, at first Peter's name was John. Then it occurred to me that I wasn't writing about Robin Hood...

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
One-sentence synopsis? For real? I have enough trouble writing five-sentences synopses! Oh well, let's have a try:
Robin Evans is happy to find his mate, Peter, but his happiness doesn't last—the prejudices of some people endanger his and his family's safety.
Uh, yeah, I think I'll stick to the longer synopses.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Neither, I hope. I just finished revising the manuscript and sending the first chapters to my beta reader. When it's completely beta'd and I've cursed enough about the synopsis, I'll submit it to Dreamspinner.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It took me four months though I have to admit that there were times when I didn't work on the manuscript for a week or two because there was just too much real life stuff interfering.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I have honestly no idea.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I like the idea of shape-shifters in general but wanted to see how it would work if the shape-shifters aren't pure blooded. Both books deal with prejudices because at least one of the characters isn't “just” a werewolf, he's a hybrid—a mix between a werewolf and another animal.
I realized only a short while ago that the topic of prejudices plays a major role in most of my stories.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Peter is a bit of an odd guy. He phrases things in an old-fashioned way, and also doesn't get jokes or book references, which makes for some interesting situations. 




I've tagged two other authors to keep the game going:

H.B. Pattskyn, author of Heart's Home and Bound: Forget Me Knot

Grace Duncan, who will publish her first novel Choices in march 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment