October 04, 2013

Lynn Townsend: Lights Out

Please help me welcome fellow Torquere Press author Lynn Townsend. She's here to talk about her new release Lights Out and the "What if..." question that lead to this story.


My plot bunnies - of which I have an exceptionally active hutch - all start out the same way...

What if...

What if you were destined to be together?

What if this was the One for you?

And what if he was already dead? What would you do? How would you feel? How could you make it work?

I wasn't intending to write a story for this call. As a writer, I have what you might call a really full plate right now; I've got two novels and a book of short stories in the works... To be perfectly frank, tackling another short story wasn't on the list.

And yet, I can't seem to be able to keep the voices in my head from asking "What if..."

I was halfway through the story before I had to back up and start over. The Trayvon Martin case was big in the news, and Zimmerman was on the television and in the newsfeeds every time I looked up. I read a sad, awful, wonderful, terrible blog post (and I can't find it again, so forgive me for not linking it) asking "at what speed should a black boy walk, as to avoid suspicion." Black mothers teach their sons not to run, for fear that people will think they're running away from a crime.

There was also a "thing" with a cheerios commercial. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kYofm5d5Xdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All of this got me thinking about my characters, and I had to back up because Dariel - who originally had a different name and a different description - kept insisting that I was going about the story from the wrong angle...

So, I started over, and my characters took on new life, new importance, and new relevance to current issues... while at the same time, answering the question;

What if you met the love of your life...

And they were already dead?




Blurb: Since the death of his sister, Dariel's been haunting her grave. Then he meets Zach. It's love at first sight -- unfortunately Zach is a ghost. An accidental possession results in Zach moving into Dariel's body, but before they can fully figure that out, they learn that there's more to Zach's death that the suicide it had seemed -- much more. With the help of the cemetery cat, Dariel and Zach will have to confront the diabolic Isaac Caine and return Zach's soul to its proper resting place.



Author Bio: Lynn Townsend is a geek, a dreamer and an inveterate punster. When not reading, writing, or editing, she can usually be found drinking coffee or killing video game villains. Lynn's interests include filk music, romance novels, octopuses, and movies with more FX than plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment