November 04, 2013

Hollis Shiloh: You Were Always the One

Please help me welcome fellow Dreamspinner author Hollis Shiloh, who is here to talk about her new release "You Were Always the One."

 
Thoughts from the Author:

Favorite line: "My goodness, I love you, you little bastard."  I can just hear it in my character's voice, and it makes me laugh.  He's frustrated beyond belief but also so full of love and doesn't realize how much he's revealing.  (I know, I know—I shouldn't admit to laughing at my own words!)

Favorite scene: When they're running, and then Max catches up to Jamie and really spills his guts.  

Favorite character: None!  I love them both.  I love Max's steadiness and gentleness and how he wants to keep everyone safe.  I love Jamie's volatile liveliness and sense of humor and the cockiness that covers his insecurities.  I can't be reasonable about my own guys; I just love them.  It's the only way to make it through writing a whole story—to really love my characters, even when I sometimes want to smack them.  :)

With cover art by the amazing Chris Griffin, and editing with the Dreamspinner Press team, this contemporary gay romance e-book clocks in at about 100 pages.  The heat level is pretty low, for those who care one way or the other.  :)

"You Were Always the One" stands alone, although there might be more books about these characters in future.  I keep wanting to write about these characters.  But this story definitely stands on its own.  :)

Spoiler alert: The dog lives.  I hate it when dogs die in fiction, don't you?  It happens enough in real life!



Link:

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Hollis. I'm glad Chris had you on here so I could learn about your book. I'm going to be very honest and say that I am someone who never looks at books when they have animals on them. I just don't. I love animals and dogs especially, and I have a cat who acts like a dog, but I'm just turned off by animals on covers. That doesn't mean I don't buy them by authors I already enjoy (just look at the left sidebar on this blog, and it'll show you how many I buy with animals on them), but my brain just says no. I'm sure I've missed out on lots of great books by authors I don't know because of this, but that's my brain. It makes me do things! Still, it makes me read, so if there's a way for it to get over its prejudice, it's like this, having a blog post that makes me learn more and be intrigued. Which I am. I look forward to getting to know your guys and seeing their road to each other.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,

      I know your comment is meant for Hollis but can I just chime in and say that I never considered an animal on a cover would turn people off? I'm very glad you gave me a chance. :) I

      ~ Chris

      Delete
  2. Ha! Chris, the first thing I read of yours was Seizing It. Look at the cover. See something missing? Seriously, I don't know what it is. I must have had a bad experience with a book with an animal on the cover that I don't remember, and I'm traumatized. I don't even go, "oh, I'm not going to read that." My brain just makes me skip right over it. The first step in solving a problem is admitting you have one, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL And I so wanted to have Jackson on the cover for "Seizing It" but I was so happy with it when Anne sent it to me, so he made his first appearance on the second book. Still, I'm glad you liked it. :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the comment!! (And thank you, Chris, for hosting me here!!) :)

    I sort of know what you mean about covers with animals. :) I'm very drawn to them, because I love animals, but I'm also cautious because I hate reading stories where animals die. It makes me sob like a baby.

    ReplyDelete