November 10, 2013

Sunday Snippets #3 -- Secret Chemistry

This week's post is from Secret Chemistry (shapeshifter story):


A sting at his right ear evoked a surprised yelp of pain from Tim. Hey! You’re one cheeky little rascal!
I no rascal. I foxy wolf.
Tim’s light mood evaporated. Jay had just brought the harsh reality back with a sledgehammer. Tim stared at the small body sprawled on top of his back, already making himself ready for another attack on Tim’s ear.
Whoa! No more biting, rascal.
I no—
I know what you are, and you are a rascal.
Jay stopped his movements, choosing to silently glance at Tim. He lowered himself fully onto Tim’s back. Turning sad eyes on Tim, he asked hesitantly, You mad?
No! God, no, I’m not mad. Come down.
Why? I like here. You soft.
Tim’s heart lurched abruptly in his chest. How could so few words have such an effect on him? Why did his heart feel like it might burst out of sheer love at any moment?
Tim inhaled sharply when it struck him what he had just thought. Love. He loved that little guy. Oh Christ! The scales fell from his eyes as realization finally hit him full force.
He had found his mate.
His mate who was a hybrid, and to top that, he was three years old: a child, a really young child. Shocked, Tim craned his head to stare at the small pup nestling comfortably on top of him. How was this supposed to work out?

http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3520

4 comments:

  1. What an intriguing tidbit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first story of yours that I ever read. I loved it and I'm looking forward to book 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynette. Book 2 is submitted and I hope it'll be accepted.

      Delete