January 15, 2014

Wednesday Briefs: Hope #16

Welcome to Wednesday Briefs, where authors post free fiction of 1000 words or less each week. I used this prompt: "Can things get any worse?"


Hope #16


Here I was, sitting with a puppy who was supposed to be Shane, cradling him in my arms after accusing him of leaving me alone.
Can things get any worse?” I asked. Shane gazed at me, his head slightly tilted to the left side. One of his ears was perked and the other one flopped, which caused me to smile despite the guilt nagging at me.
I didn't mean it like that. It's just... not a good feeling, letting my anger get the better of me.” I shrugged and stared at nothing in particular until I couldn't stand it anymore. When I looked back at Shane, he swiped his tongue over my hand, then gave it a sharp nip.
Ow! You don't have to go all animalistic. I'm glad you're here. No, that's not the right word. I'm... I'm... well, I don't know what I'm feeling exactly at the moment but I'm sure it's more than simple happiness. I missed you so much.” I whispered the last sentence. I tapped his nose when he barked and wiggled. He got the gist and quieted down immediately. “Even if you could never become human again, I'd never let you go again.”
Shane bounded to his feet, climbed up my chest and licked my face. I laughed and did my best to keep him from toppling, or ripping my shirt open with his claws.
I wouldn't,” I repeated when Shane pressed his head on my shoulder, somehow similar to how he'd done it before his death—or what had seemed like his death—and I cupped the back of it. A shiver ran through my body at the familiarity of the gesture. Sure, I'd rather have Shane in his human form, but anything was better than to be without him at all.
We spent some time cuddled together like this, then I rose with him in my arms and walked back to the table with the tiles. “Didn't you want me to call someone?”
Shane thumped his tail once and, after I set him down on the table, he spelled MARISA. I drew a blank.
“Marisa?” I asked. “Is that a person? A shop? A... something? You have to help me because this means nothing to me.”
He plunked down on the table, expelling a long-drawn breath. When I raised my hands in a show of surrender, he growled, got up again, and shoved pieces aside with more force than necessary.
“I take it I'm slow on the uptake?” I said because anything was better than standing around, feeling awkward. Shane made a sound that could've been another growl, or maybe an annoyed huff, but he didn't look around. Instead he brought some letters in a new order.
AUNT, it read. Aunt? Oh! “Your aunt Marisa? The one you don't like talking to?”
Shane knocked his tail once on the table and gazed at me expectantly.
Uh, am I supposed to call her?” When he affirmed my suggestion, I asked, “What am I supposed to tell her? Did you know Shane isn't dead? He's still alive but he can't talk to you because at the moment he's a German Shepherd puppy?”
Shane barked and showed me yes with his tail. I blinked at him. “For real?”
He slumped down on the table with all four limbs stretched away from him and gazed at me with an expression I remembered. I put my hands on my hips and scowled at him. “Hey, go easy on me here, okay? I'll get the phone and call her.”
On my way to the phone I muttered, “We'll see how it goes. I hope she doesn't call an ambulance. Normal people would. I would if it was someone else telling me their dead lover reappeared as a dog. Geez, I can't believe I'm doing this.”
Shane jumped around me as I dug for the registry in one of the kitchen drawers. It took me about ten minutes to find Marisa's number since I couldn't recall her last name at all. With trembling fingers, I punched in her number and flinched when she picked up after the second ring.
It was now or never. “Hello Marisa, this is Gil, Shane's boyfriend. I need to talk to you.”


10 comments:

  1. Will Marisa have some answers? Will she know the why's? I have some thoughts, some ideas of where this might be going, but I maybe totally wrong too! Can't wait for next Wednesday! Maybe they can up the word count? LOL. I'll be back next week. Thanks Chris T. Kat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolol No upping the word count! Or I won't get anything else done. ;-)
      I'm curious about your thoughts, and I'm very glad you're still liking the stories. Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. Will Marisa be able to help? Can she turn Shane back into a man? Did Shane actually die before?
    JL-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa will be able to help, question is whether Gil will like the help she can offer. JL, thank you very much for reading!

      Delete
  3. I've gotten caught up from the weeks I've missed. That's going ot be an interesting conversation with Shane's aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, thanks a lot for catching up. I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  4. lol this story keeps getting better and better. I love how there's a surprise every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feared it might become tiresome, so I'm really happy that you're enjoying the stories (and the surprises). :)

      Delete