February 04, 2014

Alicia Nordwell: The Experiment

My final The Experiment blog hop stop is here with Chris T. Kat. Thank you so much for having me, Chris! Just a heads up, this is the last stop for my contest. Every person who comments will be entered to win a $10 Amazon gift card. Don’t forget to leave your email, because if I can’t contact you… you can’t win! The contest ends at tonight 12:00 AM, PST and the winner will be announced on my blog on Thursday.

Success! My Motivation and a Thank You
What keeps authors writing? For me, feedback definitely pushes me to keep writing. I love seeing an eBook sell well, but good numbers without reviews is frustrating. I love hearing how people enjoy my stories. Getting questions on how, and why, and when I write certain elements makes me think about my writing. I get into it. It doesn’t have to be all positive, as long as it’s constructive.
I want to thank everyone who’s commented on this blog hop, especially those who’ve read the story before and shared comments like…
Carrier Violet’s comment on M.A. Church’s blog: One of the most imaginative stories that keep you interested about it no matter where or what you're doing!!
Thommie’s comment on Andrew Q. Gordon’s blog: Yup, I shamelessly admit I fell in love with Caeorleia. That entire planet looks like paradise in my head. No wonder we power-greedy humans want it so badly…
I’ve also received some great reviews on the eBook outside my blog hop, like…
Portia on Amazon said: Well guys this is a true treat, cracking open this book was like being taken to the far reaches of space to witness a human man who has been used, abused and experimented on by his own government being taken in by an alien race and finding home.
Lilia Ford on Goodreads gave me some great feedback with a fair review, saying: I found this a fun read, and I'll probably read the next part if there is one since Nordwell successfully raised my curiosity about late-arriving characters like Dade and Nicklaus. It's safe to say I'm a fan of any and all variations of the alien abduction story, and a downright sucker for the big-tough alpha alien meets meek earth-boy plotline. This was more of an engaging play on the familiar elements of that story rather than an exploration of new territory.
And Ann from Goodreads very succinctly said: Excellent read that had me hooked from start to finish.
So many people who’ve commented are hoping for a sequel. Many of them have found their way to my blog and are reading Adverse Effects already. I plan to finish it soon and then begin the editing for submission process. I’d dearly love to know your thoughts, if you have any of the story’s overall progression, or characters, or just about anything. I love to write stories that readers find original and interesting, and always drives me to evaluate all the elements of a story.
Authors should always be open to feedback. For me, it keeps me writing. I don’t hold chapters hostage til I get so many comments, but I spend a lot more time thinking about a story’s plot and characters if I’m actively talking about it. Obviously it’s been working lately. I’ve been inspired after a long writing slump and experiencing a lot of success thanks to my family, friends, and fans.
So, from me… a very big thank you! 

 



Synopsis:
In the distant future, humans wage war against the alien planet Caeorleia, with no tactic off-limits if it will help the humans get their hands on Caeorleia’s resources. Ask Ryker. He thought he volunteered for a simple experiment that would help his government in the war. He didn't realize sadistic doctors would turn him into the experiment—by injecting him with blood from a captured Caeorleian, Seral Iorflas.

Nor did Ryker realize he’d be sent to sabotage a planet full of the very beings his world is battling, beings who kill humans on sight. But then, thanks to the experiment that irrevocably changed him, he isn’t exactly human any longer—and with each passing day, as his blood bond with Seral strengthens, he’s less and less sure as to whose side he's on.

Excerpt:
I let him twine our fingers together. “I know I keep saying this, tziu, but you will learn that this is your new home and you will be safe here.”
How can I?” I looked away, staring out at the water. I saw something jump, but I couldn’t see more than a long oblong shape before it splashed back into the water. “I know next to nothing about your planet. I know the things that were in the vid news back on my planet have to be false, but I still feel like I’m drowning… in what I don’t know. I met some of your family, but the only places I’ve been are here, your room, and the medical wing.”
Seral’s thumb massaged my palm, rubbing it in little circles. I shifted my legs, squeezing my growing erection to my stomach. His touch was meant to be soothing, but I couldn’t help my response to him. He was exactly the type of man, if he’d been human, that I would have been attracted to. Under other circumstances, the first words I would have said to him probably would have been an invitation to my bed.
We can get out more, now that you’ve recovered some of your energy, but I want you to take it easy. Jaraula told me off. She said I was being overprotective. She’s having a lunch get-together with some of our younger cousins. We can attend that if you like. No one is going to expect you to remember all their names or anything. They just want to get to know you better. Then maybe you’d like to see some of the city sights.”
I nodded a little, but one thing confused me. “Why are you so overprotective, anyway? Is it like, part of your genetic makeup?”
Seral hesitated. “Yes, but that’s not all of it.”
I waited, but he didn’t say anything more. I scowled. “Seral, you want me to trust you, but you basically just told me that you’re hiding something from me, something big from the sounds of it. What is it? Some sort of weird custom? I have to go to the lunch naked? Are you afraid someone is going to try to maul me or something?”
Seral pulled away. I watched him as he got up and began pacing. I was starting to get angry now.
Tell me, damn it!”
He jerked to a stop. “You’re not human, but you’re human enough for some to hold a grudge. I tried to explain to the asheksi what happened on the ship, but they wanted to do tests on you. I said no, but it took an order from my father to make them see reason.”
I blanched. His father’s advisors wanted to… to…. It felt like my chest was being squeezed, and I started to shake. Hadn’t Jaraula said that Buphet was one of them? Had they really seen reason?
Had he even intended to take me to Seral? Or had he planned to hurt me? I began to get dizzy, the lack of oxygen getting to me. What if someone managed to kidnap me and put me back in a cage?
Tziu? Ryker?” I felt his hands pull me to my feet. My fingers scrabbled at Seral’s shoulders, trying to find something to hold on to. “Stop it! Breathe!” His voice was frantic. He crushed me to him and pounded on my back.
I gasped, then sucked in a harsh breath, followed by another. It got easier as I soaked in Seral’s warmth. He began patting my back softer, and he murmured under his breath until I began to calm. It wasn’t until then that I realized he was holding me off the ground.
Please don’t let them hurt me, Seral,” I whispered. I clung to him and buried my face in his neck. He’d offered safety and tenderness before, and I needed it now.
I would never let anyone harm you. I was trying to protect you until I figured out exactly who might want to hurt you, but there are too many people who are worried about you being a human spy. This war has raged on for cycles. We heal quickly, but there have been deaths when human soldiers make it through the bio filter. That makes people bitter. Our family guard has been on the front lines of the fight, with many of our pilots shot down. The humans even managed to capture me.”
What if it is never safe?” I couldn’t help but wonder if I’d ever be able to fit in. I looked in Seral’s dark eyes, trying to see inside him, to understand him. “Do you feel that way?” Maybe he was just hiding it from me.
No, of course not!” He sank down to the ground again, leaning against one of the sampanga trees. He turned me in his arms, pulling my back to his chest, and cradled me against him. I shivered a little, enjoying his heated skin soaking through the thin satiny material of my robe.
I understand we barely know each other. You’re not used to my culture and the way things are done here. I don’t want to push you, but I have feelings for you. One day you’ll know how I feel and won’t question the fact we are destined to be together.”



Author Bio:
Alicia Nordwell is one of those not so rare creatures, a reader turned writer. Striving to find something interesting to read one day, she decided to write what she wanted instead. Then the voices started... Yep, not only does she talk about herself in the third person for bios, she has voices in her head constantly clamoring to get out. Fortunately for readers, with the encouragement of her family and friends, she decided for her own sanity to keep writing. Now you can find her stories both free and e-published! Oh yeah, she's a wife, mom of two, and lives in the dreary, yet ideal for her redhead complexion, Pacific Northwest. Except for when she disappears into one of the many worlds in her head, of course!

8 comments:

  1. Great book. Absolutely loved it. Please enter me in the giveaway. Thank you. :)

    marsh10@netzero.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. To have your entire sense of self stolen from you by "scientists" is bad enough. But to have it happen just so you can be used as a spy to try and take out an entire species, {shivers} cold chills just went down my back.
    Just keep sharing the voices in your head with us, please.
    katcleve25@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admired Ryker for the way he grows throughout this story. It was an interesting transformation to watch, You have created an extremely interesting world and universe and I can't wait to see more of it.
    shhp61@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the combination of SF and MM! There aren't enough of these out there, so I'd love to win this.

    skadlec1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Susan, this contest is for a $10 Amazon gift card... but I'm known to throw a few eBook copies out at folks here and there. Like a t-shirt cannon, just less ouchies and more, you know, virtual fake. LOL

    Everyone's entered into the contest! Thanks to everyone who's followed my blog hop! Today is the last day I'm hopping around. The winner of the gift card will be announced on Thursday on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic array of reviews there--congratulations!

    vitajex(At)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. really want to read this!
    leetee2007@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I still enter?

    Yinyang1062@yahoo.com

    Linda

    ReplyDelete