April 12, 2014

Autism Blog Hop


April 2nd of every year is Autism Awareness Day, and the seventh annual World Autism Awareness Day is April 2, 2014. I'm pleased to take part in RJ Scott's Autism Blog Hop.


Autism Fact: The UN declared 2 April as World Autism Awareness Day (WAAD) in 2008.


Many of you know that I work as a Special Ed teacher, but not everyone knows that my daughter (now 9 years old) has Asperger's syndrome. Even fewer people know that my husband has it too.

Living with someone who is categorized as “special needs” is challenging, no doubt about it. Both my husband and my daughter still take things literally, which sometimes results in confusing conversations, but by now we're good at untangling misunderstandings quickly and we always laugh about them. Then there's also the fact that both of them still look to me for cues when we're in new social situations, or if there are a lot of unknown people around us. I admit that it irked me years ago because it was exhausting to keep the conversation flowing while still cuing both of them in, and let's not forget that our son is the complete opposite. He's a natural charmer who picks up on subtle signs, etc. very easily.

On the other hand, my husband and my daughter are both highly intelligent (frighteningly so, sometimes), very determined, and absolutely open-minded. Let's take for example the fact that I write gay fiction. Before I told my husband about it, I worried—because I'd heard horror stories from other women. It was stupid of me to be concerned because my husband just smiled at me and told me how happy he was that I was so excited about it. He always has my back, and even helps me with the plots sometimes.

My daughter is a fighter. Even when she's afraid of new situations, she still puts herself in them because “it has to be done”. Although life is certainly harder for them, they welcome it with open arms. My son adores his sister, and still drops everything as soon as she tells him she's got time to play with him. They all are a great source of inspiration for me.

~~~~~~~~~~

For the Autism blog hop I am giving away a $10 Amazon gift card. If you'd rather receive one of my books, that's fine too. The contest will run till April 15th and random.org will pick the winner. All you need to do is leave a comment with your e-mail address on this post to be entered.

~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to follow RJ's Blog Hop for Autism Awareness!

28 comments:

  1. thanks for the great post. i can totally releate to living w/ someone who has asperbers. my dad had it and yes there were times when it was a struggle because both my brother and i have learning disabilites and it could be like walking thru a mine field. but for every challenge there was a reward :)

    parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie,
      thanks so much for reading the post! You're right, for every challenge there is a reward. :)
      Best,
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. You have a wonderful family and I love that your husband totally supported your writing m/m stories. I'm learning so much on this blog hop.

    lgrant1@san.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      thank you very much for stopping by! I'm very fond of my family. :D
      Best,
      Chris

      Delete
  3. My son has Asperger's and is currently finishing his final year in college. He doesn't deal well in new situations but has learned to cope. He is also very intelligent and has a good sense of humor. It bothers me that he is a loner, but he likes it that way. Thank you for reminding me that I am not along in this. shhp61@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It bothers me too sometimes that my daughter doesn't show much interest in other people other than her family but she's happy, so it's fine. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story, I enjoyed reading it and finding out more about you and your family.
    The Autism Blog hog has really opened my eyes, I have enjoyed reading all the facts and I have learned so much that I didn't know.
    geetracy1170 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I was a bit reluctant but figured it can't hurt to tell a bit about my experiences.

      Delete
  5. What a fun family you sound! I loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrs T. Kat-you know that autism is someting that I too want to bring awareness to. Thank you so much for doing this blog hop and bravely posting about your own experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Dizzy. Your support means a lot to me. :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your post it was interesting reading about your family and it's amazing how many people have different types of autism and how they cope. The Blog Hop is a great way to highlight Autism.

    ShirleyAnn@speakman40.freeserve.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. The autism spectrum is huge and everyone is unique and has their own coping strategies. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Nice post

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing so much about yourself and your family. It's wonderful your hubby supported your writing and even participates by helping you with the plot. Your family sounds really great!

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a wonderful guy and I'm very lucky with my family. Thanks a lot for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing, Chris. I think many of us have encountered people with Asperger's whether we realize it or not. I hope that the more awareness there is, the more patient and understanding we will become as a society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lynette. Not everyone is diagnosed and not everyone needs the same amount of guidance but I think we all have encountered people with Asperger's.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much!

    vitajex(at)Aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing. Your family sounds amazing. I'm glad that you can work out the misunderstandings now, although I have to imagine it was really frustrating at first.

    jczlapin(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it sure was--sometimes it still is. But we talk about it and straighten things out, that's what counts for me. Thanks a lot for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing your story! It is inspiring to read about how supportive your family members are of each other.

    jen.f {at} mac {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. I'm very lucky with my family. :)

      Delete
  14. Wow, it sounds like you have a very lovely family, even if it can be a challenge sometimes. Stay happy.

    alishead1 @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alishea, thanks a lot for stopping by! :)

      Delete