June 29, 2014

Special flash fiction plus Beth Wylde Chat today!

Since the Wednesday Briefers are taking over the Beth Wylde yahoo group today ( https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bethwylde/info), all participating authors post a new story today.

If you want to have more information about the chat, here's what I posted a few days ago: http://christikat.blogspot.de/2014/06/beth-wylde-chat-on-sunday-june-29th.html




Now, on to the flash! :D


More than just a friendship?

Beads of sweat rolled down my neck as we strode toward the ship. The Queen Bee shimmered in the sunlight, some of the sun’s rays reflecting off the round windows at the side. Wincing, I pushed my sunglasses from my head to my nose, wishing I was anywhere but here. This trip was going to be a disaster of epic proportions.
Fynn shoved his elbow into my midriff. “Gordy! Stop looking like a grumbler! We're going on a fantastic trip for two weeks. We'll see gorgeous places, relax, and have fun.”
I forced a smile on my face. Only Fynn called me Gordy, claiming Gordon sounded too frumpy. I disagreed, but if Fynn decided on something, then that's it. Sighing, I kept pace with him.
You're going to bounce off the walls if you add more caffeine to your system now,” I said as I snatched the coffee out of his hand.
Fynn's protests fell on deaf ears, even though he screeched when I dumped it into the next available garbage can.
Damn it, Gordy! I wanted to drink that!” Enraged, he pulled the dark blue ribbon from his golden hair, shook his head, then shoved the ribbon back on. I helped him smooth a stray lock behind his left ear.
You won't be able to sleep if you do, and since we're sharing a cabin, I have to think of myself,” I said, grinning.
An expression flitted over Fynn's face that I couldn't grasp. Had I really seen it at all? Fynn cast me a sideways glance from under his long lashes, then shrugged. “You're such a bore.”
There'll be plenty of activities to rescue you from my boring self,” I drawled, doing my best to hide that his comment had hurt.
Fynn rolled his eyes before he tugged at my sleeve, then hooked his hand into the crook of my arm. “I wouldn't take you with me if I thought you were a bore, you know that.”
You wouldn't take me with you if Adam hadn't—” I cut myself off. No need to remind Fynn of Adam cheating on him.
If I hadn't found Adam fucking some stranger?” Fynn said in a hard voice that was so unlike him. I patted his hand. He rested his head on my shoulder and expelled a breath, then added, “I should've listened to you right away.”
We lapsed into silence as we walked the remaining distance toward the Queen Bee. I always warned Fynn whenever he had a new boyfriend. Most of the time I was right, because Fynn's taste in men... it left a lot to be desired. Of course, I knew he'd never see me as more than his best friend. Why should he? I was a big man, with a formidable paunch and thinning hair. I didn't fit into Fynn's prey pattern. At least I had his friendship.
A friendship that would be put to a harsh test on that cruise. Two weeks together with him—a dream come true. Or maybe a nightmare, depending on how many times he decided to flirt and do whatever to forget Adam's cheating. I'd be watching him, close but never close enough. Just like always.
Gordy, really, you're so tense it's a miracle you're not spontaneously combusting!” Fynn groused. He lifted his head from my shoulder and punched it.
Ow! What was that for?”
Stop scowling!”
But you're doing it too,” I shot back.
That's different.”
We reached the gangway and I stopped. Couples walked past us, smiling and chatting, excitement rolling off them. I asked, “Why is it different if you're doing the scowling?”
Fynn rose on his tiptoes, wrapped his arms around my neck and whispered, “I'm so much prettier than you when I do it.” He withdrew after he pecked me on the cheek and continued, “I have more reason to scowl, too. You have none. Come on, now.”
Fynn slipped his hand into mine, something he always did, whether it was appropriate for the situation or not. Since I didn't want to suffer from a dislocated shoulder, I followed him. I did have a reason to scowl, a very good reason even. The very same reason hastened along the gangway, chattering on about some kind of bachelor auction that would be held this afternoon.
Are you going to volunteer?” I asked, my heart clenching. Well, I knew I'd spend some time alone, why not get accustomed to it right away?
Fynn's eyes lit up as he sashayed right into my personal space. “Only if you bid for me.”
The words stuck in my throat as I stared at him, right into his dark blue eyes. The gleam vanished when I remained silent. Fynn turned around without another word and dropped my hand. An awkward moment passed until I cleared my throat.
Softly, I said, “Come on, midget, let's get us settled.”
Fynn's shoulders eased at my nickname for him, and his usual smile reappeared. He nodded, and together we approached the staff welcoming the guests.

4 comments:

  1. When will there be the rest of the story ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet but I'm working on it, promise! Thanks so much for reading, Sylvie. :)

      Delete
  2. I always read your blog even if I don't comment often...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great (and encouraging) to know. Thank you, Sylvie. :)

      Delete