August 27, 2014

Wednesday Briefs: Hope #42

Welcome to Wednesday Briefs, where authors post free fiction of 1000 words or less each week. I used: fairy dust in some way

Hope #42

Shane's body went taut. I nudged my elbow into his abdomen and he stepped away, grimacing.
“Weren't you?” I asked him, shoving Silvion's arms away.
Shane's shoulders slumped in defeat and I caught him exchange a look with Silvion before he answered, “Yes.”
Great, did you ever consider telling me?” I asked, hurt and betrayal sending sharp stabs of pain into my gut. I was acting like a jealous, irrational lover. So what? They’d been lovers. It wasn't as if I'd been a virgin when I met Shane.
It was a long time ago. Shane stayed in your reality most of the time, and neither of us took well to being separated for months on end,” Silvion chimed in.
Do you still love each other?” I blurted. My hands shook, and I pushed them in my pockets. They didn't need to know how much their answer would affect me. Why was it that important anyway? Shane was my boyfriend, not Silvion's, even though I hadn’t shown him t I loved him since he'd changed back from puppy to human. Pressing the heels of my hands into my closed eyes, I added, “Forget it. I don't want to hear it.”
“Gil,” Shane whispered. He tugged me against his lean body, cupping the back of my head with one hand, the way he'd always done whenever I was upset. “We should get some sleep.”
I nodded, suddenly too tired to ponder all I'd learned in the last two days. It felt as if an eternity had passed and my life had been turned upside down. One of Silvion's large paws settled on my shoulder, then slid lower to the small of my back. I shivered, which elicited a chuckle from Shane.
“I've always had a fondness for Silvion's hands too. They're quite big and capable,” Shane said.
When I looked at him, he grinned at Silvion, a teasing glint in his eyes. I said, “I should be mad at you but... I think I agree with your statement.”
Silvion's hand glided even lower and I sucked in a breath as he gave my butt a firm pat. “You really need some sleep,” he growled. “As light as you are, I don't want to carry you all the way to my home.”
“I can walk, you know.”
Shane snorted and not even a death-glare changed the way he smiled at me—fondly, but exasperated at the same time. “Gil, you're ready to keel over any second.”
“Well, I don't see any kind of transportation other than our feet, so why are we discussing this at all?” I asked.
Silvion unfastened a pouch clasped to his belt. It held a glittering, light blue... substance. Shane's smile broadened as he nudged me closer to Silvion. Like before, we pressed together with me in the middle. I nestled up to Silvion, and Shane wrapped his arms around me and as much of Silvion as he could.
“This is fairy dust,” Silvion said.
“Fairy dust,” I echoed. “Sure. Why not. I've seen a real dragon, so why not fairy dust too?”
“He really needs to sleep,” Silvion told Shane, who I felt nodding against my back.
I'm still here, you can talk to me instead of talking about me,” I muttered.
Shane dropped a light kiss on my exposed neck, causing me to whimper. He said, “Close your eyes and hold on tight, okay?”
I clutched Silvion's robe in my hands and breathed in deeply. Silvion trickled fairy dust on my head, murmured words I couldn't understand, and a moment later the air around us whirled, ripped at my clothes, and I lost all sense of direction. Panic engulfed me when breathing became an issue, but Shane gave my hair a light tug, bending my head back so I reflexively gulped for air.
Shhh, it's okay, we're in Silvion's home. We're safe.”


No comments:

Post a Comment