September 15, 2014

Fabulous Five Blog Hop

I've been tagged by Skye Allen for this blog hop. Here are the 5 fabulous questions (plus my answers):

1. What am I working on?
At the moment, I'm revising two science fiction novels and a contemporary novella (working title is Despite the Odds). Work is incredible busy, plus I just released Secret Energy and in two days Tidal Change will release, so I have my work cut out for me. I hope to get back in the writing mood (and have time for it!) in the next few weeks. I'll most likely start on a sequel to Despite the Odds— I'm quite taken with the characters. :)

2. How does my work differ from others in its genre?
How does one answer such a question? I'm an animal-lover and therefore animals often play an important role in my books. Sometimes they're companions, like Kit's large dog Jackson in Seizing It, but mostly I love to write shape-shifter stories. My favorite stories are those in which the men shift into small animals—like Billy, who can shift into a red squirrel (The Wolf and His Diva), or Jay, who is depicted as a baby hybrid between red fox and wolf in Secret Chemistry.
Other people have commented on the slight sub/dom vibe in my stories, but I'm not sure if that's much different from other works in this genre. I try for my books to be lighthearted, with a touch of humor and warmth.

3. Why do I write what I do?
I write in the m/m genre, though I'd never say I'll never write m/f. Actually, I'd love to try my hand at a m/f story with a really strong female, but so far no idea seems to be working out. Within the m/m genre, I write in pretty much every subgenre. I write contemporary (suspense/thriller, sweet romance, light BDSM), fantasy, science fiction, and paranormal. I don't like to tie myself down to a certain genre because I like them all. I also read in every genre, though I tend to pick up paranormal books with shape-shifters. Anyone see a pattern here? ;-)

4. How does my writing process work?
Usually, I have more ideas for books floating in my head then I'll ever be able to write. When I go back again and again to an idea, I jot down some ideas, decide on names and location, and then set to work. Since I can only write on the weekends, or when I'm off work, (I can only write in the morning, only when I'm on vacation I manage to write in the afternoon or early evening as well) I pour out words and lose myself completely in my story. Once the rough draft is done, I set it aside for a while, then clean it up before I send it to my beta readers. If I'm lucky, I only need to revise the manuscript once before I submit it, but often enough it takes at least two to three rounds until everyone is satisfied.

5. Who’s next on the blog hop?
I'm on the tail end of this blog hop, so I had trouble finding anyone to play along. However, the fabulous Joy Lynn Fielding agreed to participate, so go check out her post next week (and while you're there, check out her books, too!).

2 comments:

  1. I always find answers to these questions fascinating - they vary so much between people. I don't know how you cope with having so many possible stories in your head at once, Chris - mine come one book at a time, and that's more than enough for me to cope with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joy!

      The only way of coping is to write one story after the other. lol I wish I'd only have one at a time, that would make my life so much easier. ;-)

      Delete