January 20, 2015

Cooper Davis: A King Undone (REVIEW)



A KING UNDONE (Noble Pleasures Book One) by Cooper Davis
Genre: Male/Male Alternative Historical fantasy Romance
Publisher: Samhain 12/9/14

Cooper Davis bio:
Cooper Davis first discovered the allure of m/m storytelling when she watched My Beautiful Launderette with a college roommate. Later, her passion for stories about men falling in love and finding their HEA together was stoked by online slash fiction. After years as an avid fan of m/m and slash, Cooper finally decided to try her hand at penning her own stories about same-gender romance and love.
A voracious reader across all subgenres of m/m fiction, Cooper is particularly fond of courtships set against the breathless backdrop of scandal and intrigue found in period drawing rooms. She is thrilled that her first historically themed m/m romance series debuts this December with A KING UNDONE (Samhain).

Twitter: @cooperdavisbook
Trailer for A KING UNDONE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVUeyOAESZI

BUY LINKS:

Amazon Buy Link:

Bn.com buy link:



THE BLURB:
Sometimes you have to risk everything, to follow your heart…
Noble Pleasures, Book 1

In a world where gentlemen openly court and marry fellow noblemen, the threat of scandal still lurks behind every velvet drape for kings and princes. Such has been the fate for King Arend Tollemach, forced to sacrifice his heart on the altar of regal duty.

Now that his wife is dead and his royal obligations are at an end, he’s ready to take an unthinkable risk. King Arend seeks a concubine from Temple Sapphor, a secretive, gated world where he will finally shed his virginity—as least as it pertains to making love to a man.

Julian never thought he’d spend ten years on the temple shelf, passed over again and again. Just when he despairs of ever finding placement in a nobleman’s bed, Arend walks into the temple. A lonely eyed, beautiful king who could easily steal his heart.

Arend discovers he has no problem opening his bed to the exquisite concubine. The problem lies in finding the key to his long-shuttered heart.
Warning: Contains a beautiful, virgin king desperate to bed another man, a concubine who fantasizes about being claimed and revered by a strong monarch, and a sea of scandal set against a sensual, palatial backdrop.

Warning: Contains a beautiful, virgin king desperate to bed another man, a concubine who fantasizes about being claimed and revered by a strong monarch, and a sea of scandal set against a sensual, palatial backdrop.

"A King Undone is perfect if you're in the mood for aloof (or trying to be) kings, witty courtesans and kisses that will melt your e-reader.​" - Happy Ever After Blog, USA Today

"Sensual and full of charm, A King Undone will make its way into any reader's heart. A must read!" - Z.A. Maxfield, author of My Cowboy Heart


"Emotionally complex and beautifully written, I fell in love with A King Undone from the first page." - Ava March, bestselling author of All in With the Duke 


"Cooper Davis's wonderful world-building draws you into a fantastical kingdom of erotic delights you won't ever want to leave." - New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Kate Pearce


"In A KING UNDONE, Cooper Davis weaves a compellingly imaginative tale sure to thrill fans of all erotic romance genres." - Lauren Hawkeye, New York Times and USA Todaybestselling author 

"A King Undone is a romantic, emotional twist on the classic drawing room courtship--Cooper Davis writes with a lush and lyrical sensuality that will make you sigh, swoon, and fall desperately in love!" - Louisa Edwards, bestselling author of Can't Stand the Heat

 ~~~~~~~~~~~

 REVIEW:

To be upfront—I haven’t read a lot of historical romances because I’m usually more interested in other sub-genres. However, the blurb for A King Undone intrigued me. A concubine that has been passed over year after year? Oh, come on, that’s got to be interesting, right?

To answer my own question: yes, it was definitely interesting. I loved Julian (or Jules) because of his sweet and loving character, yet he also showed an inner strength, and wooed me with his witty comebacks.

I didn’t care for Arend, the king, right away. He came off as arrogant and cold, but even he couldn’t resist Julian and quickly fell for his concubine. There have been several interesting secondary characters introduced, and I’m curious what the author has in store for these people.

This book has a sensual quality about it that left me thoroughly satisfied. However, this is the first book in a new series, and while the end was a sensual delight, I was also unhappy. The tension and the outer politics that threaten Julian and Arend’s relationship are not resolved, but I guess that’s—hopefully—going to happen in the next book.

I'd recommend A King Undone to anyone who loves m/m historical stories with memorable characters, lush prose, and an overall sensual quality to the story. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Definitely recommended!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~



1-Welcome Cooper Davis! Please tell us a bit about yourself and your release.
Thank you for inviting me! I’ve been writing male/male and publishing in the genre since 2009, when my debut, BOYS OF SUMMER was released by Samhain. I also published TAKING YOU HOME, the sequel and another m/m contemporary, a paranormal about rival alpha werewolves, BOUND BY NATURE. And most recently, I’ve launched a new series, THE NOBLE PLEASURES, which launched with A KING UNDONE, the story of a king who, after being widowed at a young age, seeks for himself a male lover.


2-“A King Undone” is an Alternative Historical Fantasy Romance, how much research went into the book?
It’s an alternative type historical world, that’s largely based on the early Victorian period in England. Not quite that world. But based enough on it that I did quite a bit of research about peerage, carriages, you name it. I’m trying to make it as authentic to that loose time period as possible, while also taking some geographical and climate liberties, for instance. And certainly the greatest liberty is that gentlemen may openly court other gentlemen and even marry them.

3-How long have you been writing?
The answer to that is going to make me sound like an aged person. LOL! But almost forty years. I began writing in elementary school.

4-What compelled you to write this particular story?
I’m an avid fan and reader of historical romance—and adore male/male romance. I love the Ava March books, and other “drawing room” historicals, and although I love the tension of the forbidden nature of a same gender attraction and affair in that true historical period romance…I thought it would be fun to bust the walls out a bit. To play with men courting other men openly.

5-What gave you the courage to submit your story to a publisher?
Ah, well, I started out writing fanfiction, and I was so lucky—I had a lot of supporters of my work who made me believe in myself and that gave me that fire to be published in a true way.

6-When creating your characters, do you have models in mind or are they totally fictional?
They are totally fictional. They spring to life in this way that defies logic. They live and breathe for me. They’re truly people, not based on anyone else, although of course I weave in parts of myself and others. But they’re not stand ins for real people—they have their own life blood, if that makes sense.

7-When you're not writing, how do you like to spend your time?
Sleeping. Just kidding! I’m big into movies and smart television shows. I’m into photography and crocheting and knitting. I’m always learning something new, too. I try to approach life with an open curiosity!

8-What are your writing goals for 2015?
I have two books to deliver! I’m working on the sequel to A KING UNDONE, A KING AWAKENED. And most of the third book, A GENTLEMAN REVEALED, is done.

9-Do you have personal goals for 2015?
I’m working on being physically healthier. Last year my life had a lot of stressors and this year is about lightening that load for me—literally and physically.


No comments:

Post a Comment